Win the jury’s and audience’s heart: be the most adorable! Be so cute, that we want to give you lots of hugs! Be the most KAWAII of Japan Impact!
- The Kawaii contest is an individual talent and fashion contest, intended for Japanese fashion fans (especially Harajuku) which focuses on a “cute” aspect and will take place on Sunday the 18th of February 2024 during Japan Impact at EPFL.
- Participants are committing themselves to follow the theme.
- The contest is open to anyone, whatever their age or gender. Genderbending and genderless styles are authorized, as long as they are following the theme “cute”.
- Cosplays are forbidden. The aim is to show your own sense of style, not to be dressed as someone else.
- Contestants must present a small show: dance, singing, both or other type of entertainment (be creative and show your talents!)
- Registration form
- Parental authorization form (for underage contenders, to be signed and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kawaii Contest 2024 Rules
Gender neutral language is used in the course of this document.
1. Purpose of the contest:
- The Kawaii contest is an individual fashion contest, intended for Japanese fashion fans (especially Harajuku) which focuses on a “cute” aspect. Participants are committing themselves to follow the theme.
- The contest is open to every gender and age. Genderbending and genderless styles are authorized, as long as they are following the theme “cute”.
- It is possible to participate in both the Kawaii and Idol contests, since they will take place on a different day.
- The outfit must be appropriate for the public and cannot contain offensive and/or inappropriate texts or images. The outfit can be bought or handmade. Cosplays are forbidden. The aim is to show your own sense of style, not to be dressed as someone else.
2. Dates and registration
- The 2024 Kawaii contest will take place on Sunday 18th of February 2024. The schedule will be communicated later.
- UPDATE The registration is only via the official link. It opens on the Friday 6th of January 2024 and will end on
Friday 9thTuesday 13th of February 2024 at 23:59 pm.
- The opening and closing dates of registration can change with no prior warning.
- You will receive a confirmation email within 4 working days after your registration.
- Please send us your media files before the Saturday 10th of February 2024 at 23:59 pm.
- Registrations follow a first-come first-serve basis as there are a limited number of registrations.
- In case of discontinuance, you are asked to warn us to leave a chance to other people.
- If you do not respond and no further contact is possible, or in the case of disrespect to either participants, members of the jury panel or the organizers of Japan Impact, you can be blacklisted and can no longer be able to join the future contests.
- In case of registration confirmation, the entrance of Japan Impact on the day of the contest will be offered.
- The practical information (meeting time and place, entrance…) will be communicated a few days before Japan Impact.
- No registrations will be accepted onsite on the day of the contest for organizational reasons.
- By participating in the contest, the contestant gives permission to be filmed or photographed. Participants give permission to PolyJapan to use the images for promotional purposes.
- Contenders under 18 years old at the time of the convention must send us by email at email@example.com a signed and dated permission slip by their legal representative within 3 business days after registration.
3. Media Files
- Only .mp3 formats are allowed for the audio files.
- It must not exceed 1 minute and 30 seconds. An extra 5 seconds can be allowed only in the case if the chosen song cuts too abruptly. No other exceptions will be tolerated for equity reasons, and any files that do not follow the rules will be cut to 1m30 from the beginning of the audio and converted.
- A contestant may be asked to change their music choice and audio file if it has already been chosen by a contestant before them (first-come, first-serve), or if it does not fit the contest theme.
- Please choose music linked to japanese content or from japanese artists, as this contest is focused on modern japanese culture.
- A photo of the outfit planned for the stage performance will be asked. It does not need to be the final outfit, as the organizer needs to verify that the theme is respected and is appropriate for the public. If it is not appropriate or is outside of the contest theme, the contestant will be asked to change their outfit or elements thereof.
- The media files (photo and audio) must be sent before the 10th of February 2024, at 23h59. In case of tardiness, the registration can be cancelled.
- To be cautious, please bring your .mp3 audio file on a USB key or external hard drive on the day of the contest to avoid any unfortunate and unforeseen circumstances. We decline any responsibility in case of persistent problems.
4. Changing room
- The changing rooms are available only one hour before the contest.
- Only the contestants are allowed to go inside.
- The changing rooms are separated into two sections (men and women). We cannot guarantee the availability of a non-binary cabin.
- The changing rooms are guarded by staff, however contestants will be sharing the same changing room and with other guests and panelists. We advise you to store valuable objects with you or with a friend/relative before entering the changing room.
- Neither the organizing team of the Kawaii and Idol contests, nor the organizing committee of Japan Impact can be held responsible in the case of theft or damages of your personal effects inside the changing rooms or during the contests.
5. Stage performance
- The candidate has 1 minute and 30 seconds on stage maximum.
- They must present a small show: dance, singing, both or other.
- The contest will take place in an EPFL auditorium.
- It is forbidden to throw objects or dirty the stage, think about the next person!
- The dimensions of the stage are about 8x3 meters (length x width)
- People in the public cannot help you during your presentation, however a staff member can help you with accessories or any demands that were discussed with the contest organizer and accepted via e-mail.
- The outfit and the show must be adapted to the general audience. In case of doubt, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org. If the outfit has a short skirt, please wear safety shorts underneath in order to avoid an accidental exhibition.
- In the case of a breach (troll, registration only to have a free entrance, …) the participant may be sanctioned at the discretion of the committee.
- The judges marks stay confidential and are destroyed 1 month after the contest ends. However, it is possible to talk to the jury, the organizer or the presentator to ask questions, if available.
- The contestant will be informed of the evaluated aspects in the contest.
- If you have further questions about the above-mentioned points, please write to email@example.com. You will receive a response within 4 business days.
- The authoritative language version of this document is French.